Monday, May 4, 2009

In the grips of a mild withdrawal...

Phew! I switched my medicines last week in hopes that a slightly different formula would help relieve some of my anxiety. Most traditional medicines used to treat Narcolepsy can have side effects associated with anxiety, and the one I was on for the last nine months aggravated mine. So last Thursday I switched... the formula is almost the same but about 25% different-- the problem is that I am having a withdrawal that is making me slightly depressed (weepy), fatigued (in an end-of-the-day-way), and a loss of interest in some of my regular activities. It has progressed over the last seven days, and I kind of hit a wall today. The way that my new medicine stimulates the CNS (central nervous system) is almost the same but the 25% difference is giving me some issues. I am not sure what I am going to do. Research implies that there may be permanent changes to the brain after long term use of some Narcolepsy meds-- I just don't know if it is permanent, or something that will fade. It is not anything anyone can tell me unless I was to go to one of the research centers and pay out of pocket for extensive brain testing/ PET scans/ MRI... etc.

The moral of the story is that I wanted to do something simple with a medicine switch and I might have to get a little more complicated with multiple meds. Whatever. I have been having a rough day and wanted to express some of the frustrations I face.



In spite of my crazy emotions I am keeping the eating under control. I went for a shortened walk today (two miles) because my body is wrecked from my weekend walks. Walking is a whole different animal than the treadmill, and elliptical. The impact is real... my back and hips are pretty sore. Now, just because I am keeping the eating toned down doesn't mean I don't want to eat the entire box of crackers, whole block of cheese, and gallon of orange juice calling my name.



One of my cats is sitting at my elbow howling at me. Just sitting there, but howling!