Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chaos.

Ah... another peaceful Saturday morning. A homemade latte, cool breeze, and the chaotic sound of my dogs tearing around the house. At the slightest shift of the wind they break out into a chorus of barking, as if the wind is telling them to. The cats are up in the window sills (at four feet) because the terrible duo are on the hunt to lick, nudge, and corner them. As I work on my laundry, every time I walk down the stairs into the basement it is like a green light for them to start wrestling and slamming their respective 70 and 55 pound bodies into the floor.

So much for that peaceful morning. I don't have kids, but I seem to remember a little habit I had of misbehaving every time my parents would "turn their backs"... kind of like what the dogs are doing this morning when I go downstairs. Who knew that dogs think like that?

The day didn't start off the best. I ate breakfast before I took my medicine (part of my Narcolepsy is that I have a decreased level of alertness in the morning that is like walking around in a permanent dream state- crashing into light switches, unable to be a nice person, and generally make less than positive choices), and ate a little bit more than I usually do. In the morning I usually get up, and fall outside with the dogs to let them do business. After that I take my meds and crawl back into bed for another hour while they metabolize- it sucks because I can end up eating too much before I am fully alert. I try really hard to grab a little bit to eat with my meds, but sometimes (like this morning) I am a little bit shifty. I don't get too upset about it because it doesn't happen that much, and it isn't something I can absolutely control.

Yesterday was pretty fantastic on the exercise front!! I went to the gym and did a hard fifty minutes of death cardio, and then jumped into the pool for another thirty minutes of laps. I was really proud of myself. I can add a good chunk of extra exercise onto my day by getting in the pool after my usual routine, but I am have issues with the pool at my gym (I won't bore you). Obviously lap swimming comes easy to me... not to say that it IS easy, but I am able to utilize the decade plus of competitive swimming to make a pretty good workout.

The husband and I are going to hang out with some of our friends tonight. We haven't spent a lot of time with them in the past year because they are pretty focused on excessive drinking (problem for my husband since he isn't a big drinker), and shitty eating (problem for me). It is the wife's birthday, so we decided to accept the invite... we will see how things go. The couple has had a rough year financially, so they have less money to consume tons of hard alcohol, but I am not sure what will happen. We are just going to try to have fun!!