Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Where is the sun?

Really? No sun? Come on! It has been two weeks (or more) since we have had a sunny day. I think it might actually be more than two weeks. I feel like it is always dawn or dusk and we never reach daytime here. I am crabby and grumpy about it and I feel like I might go nuts. Spokane sucks. Don't move here unless you live somewhere worse... like Scranton (thanks Joe Biden, Saturday Night Live and The Office, for that reference). 

I didn't grow up in the Northwest. I grew up in Southern California and Florida. Thirteen, sun filled years in San Diego and then off to hot, sunny Florida for nine. Now, I must mention that growing up in those two locations did nothing for my skin (bake and bake, baby!) and I will soon lose my entire face to skin cancer. 

The Northwest does nothing for my mood. When I first moved to Portland, Oregon, I thought that my first winter was amazing. I lived in snow for the first time and I thought that the rain was beautiful, romantic and mysterious. The second winter was when it hit me- I need sun! Then my husband and I moved to Spokane (wrong direction, dummy!) and I entered THE ZONE. What is THE ZONE? It is a place that never really gets green, never really gets fall colors, never gets cute and snowy (except last year's 96 inch mother nature freak out but that snow just turned gray) and never has more than three months of sunny days. I am over it. When I look outside I see brown, tan and gray- like hell without the fire. 

Anyway. I just wanted to rant about where I lived and feel sorry for myself because I miss the sun and need some really, really bad right now. I don't get the seasonal depression in its true form but I feel like I am cooped up inside and I feel like I am always wanting for sun. I try to get outside to walk the dogs but when it is gray outside I just feel like I am cold. Blah. Blah. 

Boofuckingwhooo!!! Thanks, Pam!