Thursday, January 15, 2009

Frustration. Unwarranted.

Today I got on the scale and all of my resolve not to base my progress only on my weight flew out the window. Why? I lost two pounds. Weird! I should be happy with two pounds! Well, that is two pounds in two weeks. I was sick last week and my body got all out of whack with sodium levels. My rings were tight and at night I couldn't wear them. Here is the thing though- I have been doing really well for the rest of the time and two pounds is not sounding good to me. 

The anxiety part of changing my night eating habits is extremely challenging. I guess I was expecting a reward for facing the anxiety (here we go, getting to the bottom of the issue) and coming out strong on the other side. I was hoping that I would weigh and the gods of the scale would reward me with a big loss for the two weeks. Like a scale genie. 

Its is hard not to feel like there are positive payoffs for facing my anxieties over my weight. On one hand, I know that in the future I will not have to work on this so hard and it will be one less obstacle- BUT I also know that sometimes when things are really tough a little, tiny kick of motivation is helpful. 

I feel like a spoiled brat having a temper tantrum right now. I am getting teary and feeling the "fuck it" hunger creeping up. I feel really immature and pouty and I might want to stomp around the house and kick shit around (exercise?). I also know that some people reading this might be turned off by my mini- meltdown over a two pound weight loss. I know I am ALSO facing some of the OTHER THOUSANDS OF ISSUES I have with my weight and body issues. I am feeling the impatience over this process! I am also feeling sick and fucking tired of being morbidly obese. I am tired of my pants falling off because my waist is still bigger than my hips. The social anxiety over my weight is trying my tolerance and I feel like I am always going to be obese and over 300 pounds. 

Now, obviously I need a plan of action to avoid a monster binge and then another monster binge tomorrow. I am going to list what I am going to do today and then I will post an update tonight. 

1. I will not binge. If I am feeling like I might freak out and do so I will tell my husband and have him sit with me through the anxiety spell.

2. I am going to the gym after I finish my class (around two) to workout. I will not try to make up for anything and workout at a normal pace.

3. I will do extra cleaning around my house to make me feel better. I always feel better when I clean, as I am a terrible housekeeper. 

4. I will not snack after dinner.

5. I will cry if I need to but I will try to cry over my sadness and sorrow and not because I feel like throwing a pity party. 

6. I will tell myself as many times as I need to that this is all worth it and that I am worth this struggle. I will sing it, shout it or text it. I will remind myself that this is not just about TODAY but an investment for my future. 

It is amazing that even a weight loss can send me into a funk. I wanted something that I did not get and I am having trouble celebrating a loss! WTF? I am sure that most of you can relate in one way or another. I just feel silly in a way. Ungrateful? Unappreciative of my efforts? Mean to myself? Being a crazy perfectionist? 

Anyway. I am glad I posted this. I am on my way to class and then the gym. BEING STRONG!