BACK TO BEANS! I have been trying to consume more plant protein because I have been doing research about the typical American's over-consumption of animal proteins. Although an animal protein is complete, and therefore requires less thought when "dieting"... there is a whole world of plant proteins that are underused and REALLY REALLY HEALTHY. I am talking about nuts, whole grains (brown rice), beans, whole grain breads (the REAL whole grain breads of the world), soy products.... etc. The only downside is that plant proteins are incomplete and must be consumed in combinations or with a balance of a small portion of an animal protein to be complete (ex: a slice of whole wheat bread with a tbsp of peanut butter would be a complete protein combination). To make complete proteins you have to do a bit of studying... it is important for us to get complete proteins because it allows our body to consume and produce all twenty amino acids (nine have to be consumed in our diet and the other eleven are produced by our body and received through a general balanced diet). When I make a pot of beans for example, I make sure I make brown rice along with it and I always add a tbsp or two of FF sour cream- the brown rice compliments the protein completion and I wrap it up with a little dairy.
There are enormous benefits of balancing your protein sources between plant and animal sources. You can read all about it for yourself... but I know that historically humans have NEVER eaten as much animal as we do. I am not saying it is wrong but I think that a better balance it important. Think about beans, for instance... per cup= more fiber, less fat, less calories... etc. than a cup of chicken. Anyway. Just a thought.
I am trying to eat one meal with meat during the day, like chicken, veggies and yam for dinner... after eating beans and a whole grain for lunch. I have also been snacking with a tbsp of peanut butter and an apple with a brown rice cake... you get it. Just a bit more balance. AND TRUST ME... I need my animal products!
Anyway. I wanted to update you guys on my current eating trends and patterns (besides moments of sugar weakness) and what I am attempting. If I only ate my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack combinations that I plans things would be going a lot better. It is the addition of 10pm calories or pre-breakfast snacks that cause trouble.
What have you guys been doing lately or reading about with dietary changes?