Thursday, February 19, 2009

Weird and Ironic... Plus the update.

Man. My one of my teachers died today. He was trying to fix one of the bowling lanes on campus and something happened and they found him dead when he never came back out. It is kind of weird to think that I sat through his class yesterday and we did a test on life our life expectancy and today he died. He lectured heavily on body weight and what it does to your life and how risky it is. I felt a sad irony when it was announced that he died from an accident (they think he fell down the stairs to get back behind the machines) when he talks to much about what you can do to live to an old age and quality of life. I have been pretty challenged by his focus on obesity- I am the only obese person and there are a couple of people who are a bit overweight but the whole focus has been obesity and how harmful it is. The class is about quality of life and six out of the ten weeks were focused on how not to become fat. 

 It is pretty sad because yesterday we started a new topic and he was telling hilarious stories about the times he has tried on his wife's high heels... anyway. It is sad because his passion in life was his children and wife and it is sad when children lose parents and when spouses lose each other. 

I was put into a very thoughtful frame of mind when I heard about this accident with my instructor... like about quality of life. He was a cross-country coach and did everything in his power to stay healthy- I was overwhelmed with the hope that he had focused on his relationships with his loved ones- made it a priority. I was reminded that I should strive to work on my health without sacrificing the relationships I have with loved ones. Sometimes the weight loss journey can detach us a bit from our loved ones because of the changes we are making and the effort it takes. I don't know if you guys have felt disconnected a bit from family sometimes but I know I feel it-

Anyway. I have been working on another post but felt like I should talk about this. I have lost two of the nine pounds I gained in four days. It seems like it is coming off slower than it came on (isn't that always the case?). I am trying to keep my head in the game with this setback.