Saturday, April 18, 2009

THIS is something good...

This is not a product review... but can I just tell you that the BodyBugg is really working for me? On Thursday after school I plugged my bugg into the computer and was told I had burnt around 2000 calories for the day already-- it also told me that if I was sedentary for the rest of the day that I would finish at around 2600... Holy Shit! I had a rush of motivation to make my day count! I jumped in my sexy gym (ha) clothes and spent 40 minutes between the elliptical and the treadmill-- and ended up turning my day into a 3500 calorie day. I also was motivated to do some extra laundry, just to boost up my calories burned. It is amazing to be able to go online and track what activities helped make my day into a 3500 calorie day. I saw that walking from class to class bumped up my calorie burn, and so Friday I walked as fast as I could between classes and up stairs. I also saw that my laundry in the basement was helping... what an encouragement!

I am having a great time with this BodyBugg. It is a rather in-your-face reality check. I have never been good at keeping to strict calorie goals, but in the last few days that has changed because I am able to see the results of my food choices. It basically shows you how many calories you have burned and how many you have consumed, and then what your deficit is. NO DENIAL. I guess that is what I have been thinking about the last few days. I go into a deep state of denial... or convince myself to quiet the voices that are questioning my food intake. I also tell myself that I will just do the gym tomorrow, or it is not a big deal to skip it today (or for an entire week). I am confronted with the need to take charge of what I am doing RIGHT NOW! I love it! Something about seeing the numbers right in front of me... BEING IN THE PRESENT. I have been struggling with mindfulness forever (years, decade?), and thinking about what I am doing, choosing what I believe in, and thinking about the future.

Also I think that I am also feeling like I have a bit more control with less of the Olympic effort that I always assume I need to reach my weight loss goals. I need to workout, but I can also enhance my day by remembering to keep moving. Both have a significant impact on my day.

The BodyBugg is expensive. Really. For the armband device, and the six month membership- $289. Also in six months I have to renew the online subscription. The $289 included (or forced you to pay) a coaching session from some BodyBugg expert. I don't think that everyone who wants to lose weight needs it. I see that some people get a personal plan together that just WORKS. The flip side of that is people with issues with denial and mindfulness might find it to be an extremely important tool.