Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Three chips.

Last night after dinner I was still a bit hungry (I am a night snacking kind of girl)... so I grabbed a bowl of chilled cantaloupe, and three corn tortilla chips... I didn't realize the significance of this until this afternoon when I grabbed three more for snack (with a string cheese, and cherries). I guess I just had a moment where I realized that I needed a little salty something, and not a bowl, or a portion. My usual habit is to grab a bowl and weigh out a portion (29 grams), or two... because I am not counting I just needed three to satisfy the sweet/salt balance in my snack. I almost threw the whole bag of chips around in a confetti-like moment!!!


The concept of intuitive eating, and that whole movement has always been a little out of my grasp because I have always been unable to fill my hunger (and too focused on my hunger), but what about satisfying my taste? I felt satisfied last night, and also this afternoon- what if this is the key for me to taming my hunger struggles...???


I don't know... we will see... but I did want to share this concept with you guys. The thought that maybe the weighing and counting of foods might encourage larger portions, or the frustration may promote more?? How MUCH can I eat for so many calories? That might be the wrong kind of thinking for me...


In other news... Dark green leafy veggies are in order for me... in large portions. I scoffed at those of you who added spinach to your smoothies, and now I may have to try it!! The cause of migraines are hard to establish, but to rule out vitamin deficiencies- specifically B-2 (riboflavin) and magnesium, I have to make sure I am getting more than enough of those two. There are many ways to get those, but I prefer to eat my vitamins through foods... while I am working on eating more of those I am supplementing the magnesium (specifically citrate because it is easier to absorb, in powder form). I also found out that women who participate in intense daily exercise have lower levels of B-2, and have to work on replenishing it daily. There are also correlations between low B-2 levels and calorie cutting. Anyway. Just another tool to rule out the causes of my migraines.