I was tagged to do a post of 10 interesting things about myself tonight and I thought I would start off with a big picture of myself! Wedding Weightloss Weekly did this and asks that I pass on the favor to seven others... HAHA! You will be next! 1. My grandmother was a trampoline artist and my early years were spent jumping on the trampoline pit in her back yard. She was able to jump on it until she was almost 65. One of my fondest memories is watching videos of her doing flips on the trampoline while I gawked at her from the sidelines at age three (she was 61 AND DOING MUTHERFUCKING FLIPS!).
2. I have Narcolepsy. It is made fun of in the media (especially in movies and on t.v.) and most people don't understand it. If you are interested in a general overview of the disease you can read about it here. For me, Narcolepsy shows itself in a couple of ways... When I am sitting down and not engaged in conversation (seminars, at a desk working or studying, lectures (aka school) sometimes t.v. and reading). I failed out of college the first time through because of it. I also have issues driving- there is no pattern to when a sleep attack hits me driving but it is the worst in the early morning- it is not all of the time but can be very dangerous. Also, I have a terrible time in the morning waking up and I am "not a morning person" in the worst imaginable way (tenfold). The main thing is the excessive daytime sleepiness, which cannot be changed (like more sleep or ten shots of espresso in my coffee). Since my diagnosis, I have been managing it with medication and my life has changed (safe driver!). One of the reasons I am able to go back to school! I can post more about this at some other time.
3. I am a painter. I paint pictures on canvas and other materials. I started at age twenty-two. I have always been creative and artistic but something clicked that year and I just started painting. I don't always do it, sometimes I won't touch a brush for six months and sometimes I will paint for six months straight.
4. I have one sibling, a sister, who is 11 1/2 years younger than me and from the same parents (not a step- sister).
5. I lived in San Diego until I was 13. Then my family moved to Saint Petersburg, Florida. I went to boarding school in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire and Patterson, North Carolina during high school. Then I moved back to St. Petersburg and lived there until I was 22. At 22 I moved back to the San Diego area (Escondido to be exact). Just before I turned 24 I moved to Portland, Oregon and at 26 I moved to Spokane, Washington (still here!). So, I have lived in all four corners of the country (I spent a summer in Minnesota in high school but I didn't live there) but not really in the middle.
6. I used to work in the ministry for a Protestant/Christian Church (long story and not going to go there but pretty much ran away from the established church after serving for a couple of years).
7. I lived on the water in Florida and had many experiences swimming with manatees. I also witnessed firsthand the death of the entire catfish population of Tampa Bay and it washing up against the seawalls and getting stuck in the bayous and canals (I just threw up in my mouth thinking of it). We had iguanas as regular visitors, along with tarpons, dolphins and the occasional mystery movement in the water we frequented...
8. I was suspended from seventh grade for offending the nuns by swearing and spitting (godly girls DO NOT spit or swear) in front of them. I dropped the spitting in public but never really could shake off the swearing.
9. My favorite movie of all time is Borat. My favorite band of all time is U2. My favorite book is The Autobiography of King Henry the Eight by Margaret George.
10. My husband and I met at work and I was his boss (until I got transferred because of our illicit relationship).
Wow. That was harder than I thought! HA! NOW I AM GOING TO PASS IT ON!
TAG, YOU GUYS ARE IT! ALL OF YOU! HAAHAHAHHAHA!
Actually, not everyone has the time to sit down and do this in addition to their daily food/weight and life check- ins. I would love to hear this from you guys but you don't have to especially since a lot of you just did the 10 reasons/New Year posty-thingy. It is kind of fun to share some of this stuff with others though- so please do it if you can find the time!
P.S. I had a great food day and I am feeling very content about it.