Sunday, January 4, 2009

No School. Counting Calories. Do it!

My first day of school is officially canceled! The sheriff (who is in charge of the management of the emergency crews (Spokane County declared a state of emergency last week)) recommended that schools not open tomorrow. That means that my first day is delayed at least for tomorrow; probably Tuesday also. It doesn't make a difference to me except I get to avoid- I am making a list of what I get to avoid! 

PRESENTING THE LIST OF WHAT I GET TO AVOID FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER DAY:

1. The feeling of being a decade older than most of the students in the 101 classes I am taking...

2. Walking across the icy tundra that is the parking lot and campus.

3. Trying to take my homemade latte in the travel cup with me in the car (visual: large brown stain on boob shelf). 

4. Finding the classrooms.

5. Parking in the wrong spot (specifically FACULTY PARKING) and possibly getting towed.

6. Oh yeah, not all of my books have come in yet. 

Anyway. I am feeling pretty excited that I get to tap into the avoidant part of my personality for at least another day. Ha!

In other news...

I have been counting my calories the past couple of days because I made a tally, Monday, of just my morning caloric consumption and almost had a stroke. I found out I was eating a lot more calories before noon than I originally thought. The calorie counting is pretty depressing to me and because I stack up most of my excessive calories through snacks. Not a big deal but it is a nice check up during the beginning of my fourth month of weight loss. I think I will probably count them until Monday and then stop again. I want to get a handle on a moderate balance between my snacks that I need and the snacks that I want

Oh, I just had a thought- Some of you out there have been writing about the need to see a shrink. All I have to say is DO IT! If you feel like you need to then you probably should. Going to a shrink doesn't mean that you are signing up to be a lifelong mental patient (pointing no fingers at myself there) but it just means you need some help presently. I have a shrink that I have been seeing since June that has helped me in ways that no other therapist ever has (there have been a few, my friends). It is a third- party, trained professional- who is getting paid to help! It is awesome! I usually see my therapist once a week, although I have not seen her in three, due to the fact that her office is on a hill that I cannot drive up when it has snowed and iced like it has. Anyway. Don't be afraid! See a shrink!