Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I really just cannot keep from getting hurt.

Anytime I do anything I get hurt.
Like today... I was taking down a kind of rickety-shade-catastrophe that my father-in-law built about ten years ago on the property. Things were going well with lots of up and down ladder action. I was rather impressed with myself because I didn't collapse the ladder (haha). As I was taking down the horizontal "ceiling beams" that were attached to the garage I was trying to be extra careful not to let them hit me as they swung/fell down- UNTIL ONE DID.

Someone (not pointing any fingers) had never attached it to anything on the other side, so when I let it swing down the other side of the beam ricocheted down and the end of the 10 foot beam nailed me in the heel. Now let me pause for a minute and explain that the end of a 10 foot beam flew down from 8 feet and hit me square in the heel. After it happened I just stood on the ladder and tried not to throw up (or fall off) because it was one of those pains that just doesn't feel right... like a more sadistic funny bone (elbow) hit. Like maybe I fractured my heel, or bruised my Achilles tendon. Not sure which, but I am icing it right now and it isn't feeling like it is getting any better. There is a growing purple lump... I am pretty sure that it is too low to be my tendon. If this gets gruesome enough I am going to have to post a picture of it. It is pretty painful to walk right now.

Wow. Maybe I should have been wearing shoes with backs on them.