Sunday, October 19, 2008

Relationships. Food. Recovery.

One of my most important goals is to be able to be active again. Not in the sense of being able to just do the minimum- but to be able to do activities that I really love. For instance, I used to rock climb and I want to again. It is physically impossible for me to now. Period.

My goals concerning weight loss are not defined. Weight loss, FOR ME, is part of my recovery from abusing my body with food. Not everyone's recovery from bad food relationships includes weight loss. I have no goals to be a certain weight or look a certain way but I do have goals that include being able to do things (rock climbing and running are two of them). One aspect of changing who I am is changing my relationship with food. Using food to avoid emotions and abuse myself happen to be unhealthy behaviors I want to change and that have destroyed my life. 

During the last three weeks I have used abstinence from some foods as a tool. It is a technique that my therapist and I agreed upon and it is being supervised so it does not turn into restriction. It is really easy for me to go straight in the opposite direction and use restriction for abuse purposes and that is not a behavior I want to employ either. 

Part of my recovery will include introducing problems foods back into my diet in moderate, balanced amounts. I would like to enjoy birthday cake on my birthday but I don't want to binge on cake on a regular basis. I would like to enjoy cheese in moderation and not in a 2,500 calorie cracker and cheese binge. I think you get the point. 

I am trying to express that recovering from food issues, eating disorders... whatever- is not about copying what works for one person but about designing a recovery that works for you. My recovery happens to include some food abstinence and weight loss but with a therapist and doctor's supervision.