Friday, January 9, 2009

Fat and Society. My changing views.

This week has really got me thinking about a lot associated with obesity and how society relates to an obese person. I am back in school and smack dab in the middle of the battle. Obviously, for those of you that have followed along, I have been experiencing my own set of battles. 

Today in one of my classes the subject (it is broad and complicated) of obesity came up. I was sitting in the back of the classroom and was able to see who was talking. It was funny because the people who were the most hateful and negative about the "obesity epidemic" were the skinny women. The filth and hate that spewed from their mouths about being fat blew me away. It also surprised me at the tone of their voices tended to be on the angry/tense side. The other issue that surprised me was that there was a tone of superiority that crept up during their comments. 

I was not even offended (except the fact that the instructor let it go on and on and did not correct the inaccuracies ) because I was so dumbfounded. I wish I could have recorded it- It was a study in how naturally thin woman relates to obesity and the underlying fear she has of it. The oversimplification that- fat people sit on their ass and stuff their faces with french fries and donuts and are unproductive members of society- is something that the media has fed society but I really think that we (society, not you and I) have bought into it. 

Anyway. I could go on all evening about the strange discussion that took place today... but I want to add one thing that really summed this up...

AFTER CLASS ABOUT 70% OF THE WOMEN WHO WERE PARTICIPATING IN THE DISCUSSION RAN OUTSIDE TO LIGHT UP AND HAVE A MUTHERFUCKING SMOKE. 

Walking through that cloud of death gave be a little bounce in my step. Really. I almost started skipping (except that I would have slipped on the ice and broke my face and ruined the moment) because I am going to be here and alive in thirty years (in theory)! I am exercising and eating healthy foods and loving myself more every day! 


Skipping aside... 

I had an average food day. I am dealing with the leftovers from when I was sick and taking too much Immodium. I feel a bit off physically and I feel like I need to work on recapturing the mode I was in before I got sick. I had to eat some things I usually stay away from like white flour and sugar and I am having a little hang up on getting back to the veggie concentrated, whole grain infiltrated way. I just need to do it now (although I am done eating for today)! I am going to wake up and just fucking do it. DONE! 

Just try to tempt me... fresh baked sourdough breads... just try to tempt me leftover sweetened applesauce (I will throw you away!).